Thursday 17 May 2012

Prac 6: Impression of the Invisible Web

a. Do you think it is more effective to search the invisible web (databases) than using search engines, meta-search or subject directories? Why?

In my opinion, searching the invisible web is more effective than using the other 3 methods. Search engines can only find information on the visible web but the invisible web contains content that is much larger (500 times larger) than the ones provided by search engines which includes newspapers, journals and magazine archives. This means besides getting more material for the research, there are also more reliability in the material obtained from the invisible web as we can cross-reference with a wider variety of materials.

b. Name ONE database which you will use for your research topic. Why?

EBSCOhost. I find that this database saves my time by giving me the Advanced Search once I enter the database. It also gives me Result Limiters where I can put in options to limit the search range and obtain the materials that I require for the research topic. At the same time, EBSCOhost allows and encourages the use of Boolean operators during the search process and also lets me choose the publication date range of the materials I am looking for which makes the materials I find more reliable and up-to-date.

0 comments:

Post a Comment